Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Paper craft project no. 503: One amazing chick


I'm back again with one more card for the challenge at Time Out. There's still a week left to join in the Home Sweet Home challenge, where we have this inspiration photo:

source

This time around,  I simply went with the butterfly element in the photo and created this one layer card. First I stamped the girl whose name is Cora, by the way, in black.

I'm going to digress a bit to share a little story about that girl: she's the main girl in my new set One Cool Chick and she was drawn in 1974 -- that's right, 43 years ago -- by my dad back when he was courting my mom. (They ended up eloping and having a civil ceremony in December 1975.) My dad loved to draw, especially people (unfortunately I didn't get that particular talent for drawing people from him!), and because he didn't really have a lot of money to buy my mom expensive gifts, he simply gave her his hand made love letters and poems (sometimes he'd do song lyrics) accompanied by his own illustrations. I remember how excited I was when my mom shared with me many, many years ago her little box containing every single illustrated love letter my dad gave her. A year ago, I asked for mom's and dad's permission to turn a couple of the illustrations into stamps. I had my sister scan the love letters and I simply cleaned up the images and did a little bit of editing on them so they'd work as stamps. (My dad had colored his illustrations.) So you're meeting one of them...Cora, the Cool Chick. Some time in May, you'll meet the other one, Rudi, the Cool Dude :o) 

Aannnyyyywayyy....after stamping Cora, I masked her and then stamped the flowers in Becca's new set, Sweet and Sassy Mom + the cute butterfly from Shirley's Winged Things + the cool sentiment and then I finished the card by rounding one corner.

Check out the cards that the TO team + guest designer Michelle made and then come play with us! STAMPlorations is sponsoring the challenge. One winner (voted by the design team) will receive a $15 gift certificate and another winner (randomly drawn from all entries) will win her choice of STAMPlorations product the design team used.

Linking my amazing chick one layer card to these fun challenges:

Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to smile :o)


13 comments:

  1. What a lovely story and so very special and how wonderful you got to make a stamp set from these love letters. I love the funky chic and you have made her shine with this funky stamp collage x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm simply in awe of your dad's talent, and what a fabulous story behind the stamp! I love the bright, artistic feel to the card and the loose colour shapes behind the butterflies. Brilliant! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Less is More :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that makes my heart so happy! What a story filled with love and I adore how you've turned it into a stamp set. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great card! Love the layout and colours and the yellow butterflies look so light... What a great way to honour your papents by using the drawing of your father and the loveletters from your mom! The girl looks so great! Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story - I got a bit choked up! I love that you've immortalized your dad's drawings like this. Also what a wonderful card - you do layered one layers so well. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply wonderful Shery! Love your creations with bold colour and striking elements. A real taste of spring here and a fantastic sentiment too! Thanks so much for playing with us at Less is More this week. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did so enjoy reading your post and what a special stamp she is. Such fond memories and such a faublous idea to make the sketches/drawings into stamps x Love your card today x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shery, TFS your sweet story about your parents and Cora :-)

    Now your dad will be making many stampers happy too. I love your freestyle CAS design of Cora, butterflies, flowers and sentiment. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous - both the story and the card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an absolutely wonderful Story Shery... thank you for sharing it with us. YOU are one amazing chick, I must say. I love Cora and the way you placed her among flowers and butterflies. What a wonderful card, and a great story to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to read about the story behind the stamp! You have a very talented Dad. I love what you did with the image on your card as the flowers in the background have a bit of a seventies look to them too. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Less is More xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always love your art work, Shery, you know that already! This stamp has such a special place in your heart for sure! Thanks for sharing the beautiful story behind it! Your Dad is talented and you sure got that from him! So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Showers and/or Flowers” Challenge! Awesome details and design! Super work! Your little girl K is getting so big every time I see her photos. She is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet story, Shery ... and such a joy to be able to turn your Dad's artwork into stamps ... fantastic! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? If you'd like to share, share it with a smile, please :o) Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...